Twas’ the days before Christmas and all through your house, not a present has been purchased, ordered or bought. It’s not a perfect rhyme but if this is your story this holiday season and your gift list includes people into decking their halls, we’ve got you covered. The Ørchard on Catawba Island is one of the brightest and most festive destinations in Ohio for the holidays, just a day trip from Toledo or Cleveland filled with shopping, dining and drinking.
The retail shop at our Farm Stand features gifts and goods for people who like to entertain, love to cook and live to eat as well as accents for Modern Farmhouse and Coastal décor styles. It’s open daily until 8PM so you can shop day, night or around the cocktail hour. (Hint: We have a festive lineup of specialty holiday drinks at The Coop, our all “zhuzhed” up holiday cocktail space, just steps away from shopping.)
To help ignite that shopping spark, the team at the Farm Stand came up with seven super ideas to get you started. There’s little doubt that during your visit you’ll find more but let’s start here.
1. Up the cozy quota of your gift with soothing Christmas Water Lantern, the big sister to snow globes with swirling glitter, warm lighting and holiday scenes. Beyond just plugging in and enjoying, make sure the giftee knows it’s best enjoyed in a quiet, dimly lit room, wrapped in a soft blanket, with a mug of something hot and chocolaty Doesn’t that sound lovely? Buy two. You’ll want one, too.
2. For that person who cooks for you, Le Creuset cookware is the kitchen gift that lasts a culinary lifetime. Whether for a budding cook or seasoned home chef it’s something they can really get excited about. Our favorite piece, is the 4.5 quart Round Dutch Oven. Crazy versatile, you can use it for one pot meals, soups, stews, breads (great for sourdoughs), casseroles, braised dishes, and frying. Pick your color, it’s also beautiful enough to leave out on the stovetop to be admired all year long.
3. Our 1912 Candles speak to everyone. The holiday collection features a dozen warm and nostalgic scents of the season that will stir memories for someone on your nice list. Choose from Orange Marmalade Ginger Honeycakes, Snowflake Waltz, Winter Farm House, Santa’s Whiskers Cookies, Letters to Santa, Christmas Jammies, Gingerbread Buttercream Cake and our own custom scent, Christmas at the Ørchard. Christmas shopping never smelled so good.
4. Stitching siblings, the Sew Sisters, are in their 80's and work from their home here on Catawba Island to create the sweetest homemade machine-embroidered tea towels and we’re excited to add them to the Farm Stand this season. We use them to dry our hands and dishes, but love them most for the designs, motifs and how they help make our own kitchens feel homey.
5. Our Farm Stand Holly Jolly and Christmas Jam (made just for us!) is spreadable, fruity goodness. On toast, yum, but a dollop perks up a charcuterie board or tops off a thumbprint cookie. For someone extra special, gift the 12-pack Jelly of the Month Club inspired by classic comedy, Christmas Vacation. It does keep on giving for a whole year and it comes with a tea towel stamped with one of the more classic yet irreverent lines from the holiday classic movie, Christmas Vacation.
6. Gifting loose leaf tea is a traditional show of respect and gratitude, always appreciated, never returned, and rarely re-gifted. Cleveland’s Storehouse Teas has a Holiday Cheer Box that includes six samples of their full-bodied organic, fair trade teas including Ginger Lime Rooibos, Pomegranate Green and Masala Chai Black. Get it for someone you admire or for yourself and spread Holiday Cheer all around this season.
7. Over the river and through the woods, when you’re taking the family on those long holiday road trips you better bring next level road snacks. This is the one Santa finds journey-worthy and we do, too. We serve Lake Erie Candy Company’s (Pittsburgh) Hot Chocolate Pretzels and Sugar Cookie Yogurt Pretzels here. Great for stockings, hostess gifts and bribes on that trip to Aunt Cindy’s.
If you haven’t started your holiday shopping, here’s another idea. Begin at the Farm Stand Café. We’ve seen people create fantastic Christmas lists over applewood fired pizza or appetizers with wine or pastry with coffee. The café is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and also serves sandwiches, salads, burgers and plenty of sharables.
Don’t forget to make your holiday reservations at our newly expanded Orchard Bar & Table. And since you’re wondering, yes, Ørchard on Catawba Island gift cards can be used at The Coop and the Farm Stand, too.
Ørchard on Catawba Island is about an hour from Toledo and just over an hour from Cleveland. We’re on the way to the Miller Ferry and an easy stop whether you’re going or coming back. We are open daily at 8AM and invite you to join us for dining, wine, beer and cocktails, a wonderful shopping experience and a chance to enjoy the atmosphere of the grounds, from the orchard to the vineyard and all the feature we create to make your visit special. Visit us at 3350 NE Catawba Rd, Port Clinton, OH 43452.