Hey, if your dog’s not busy this summer, make a date to enjoy the patios at the Ørchard on Catawba, one of the few restaurant destinations on Catawba Island that welcomes a man’s best friend. We have three patio areas—adjacent to our steak & seafood concept Ørchard Bar & Table, at The Coop premium spirits & cocktail bar, and around the Ørchard Farm Stand café and retail store. Each is super dog (and people) friendly.
Dogs are such a big part of our social lives these days that sometimes we want them to experience everything we do. Their reality is that they just want to be with you. Store, restaurants, and lodging everywhere are now welcoming well-trained, well-behaved dogs into their spaces. They get it and at the Ørchard on Catawba Island, we do, too!
We’ve seen how dogs instantly lift the mood on our patios, making them feel friendly and welcoming. Dogs offer social support and can create an instant connection between people. “What kind of a dog is that?” or “Cute dog. Can I have her number?” are conversation starters we’ve overheard. Dogs help people mingle more and petting a dog is a known stress reliever. Add a glass of our Ørchard Island Rose wine, crisp with notes of strawberry and watermelon, and watch what happens.
Now that you know that we love dogs on our patios and hanging with your dog is good for you, how can you prepare for a visit that is good for them, too? After all, this is an interactive opportunity for them as well. If Fido is new to the socializing, you better the chances of a good experience by asking yourself:
1. Does my dog enjoy meeting new people and dogs?
2. Can they tolerate loud noises, like a live band or lively customers at the next table?
3. Are they good at sharing the space around them with people and other dogs they don’t know?
If you answered yes to these questions, then it's time to pack their leash! Oh, and be sure to stop into the retail store at the Farm Stand for a complementary dog treat. Here are some ideas that will help better the chances for a good first visit here or anywhere else for that matter.
1. Start first by taking your dog into a pet friendly store or shop close to you and see how it goes.
2. Take them to an outdoor event like a the Port Clinton Farmers Market on Sundays, street fair or our Farm Stand’s patio for a coffee or espresso and see how they behave during a short visit.
3. Take your dog for a long walk or a dog park before your visit. The Hopfinger Zimmerman Memorial Park is nearby and a good way for them to burn off energy. A tired dog is a good dog.
4. Be okay with your dog lying under your table when out. They’re telling you they need their own space.
5. Our food is great but feeding your dog from the table is not recommended. While you know your dog, you don’t know how nearby dogs will react. Feel free to bring dog treats or a lick mat to keep them occupied. Don't forget to snag a treat in the retail store before leaving!
6. Make sure they know the basic commands like sit, lay down, stay and quiet. If only they could be trained to pick up the check.
Every dog has its day and we want theirs (and yours) at the Ørchard on Catawba Island to be a great one where you’ll have fun, make new friends (furry and otherwise) and enjoy each other’s company. Woof!
Bringing your furry friend? Be sure to snap a photo and tag @orchardfarmstand while here to post on social media!
Ørchard on Catawba Island is about an hour from Toledo and just over an hour from Cleveland. We’re on the way to the Miller Ferry and an easy stop whether you’re going or coming back. We are open daily at 8AM and invite you to join us for dining, wine, beer and cocktails, a wonderful shopping experience and a chance to enjoy the atmosphere of the grounds, from the orchard to the vineyard and all the feature we create to make your visit special. Visit us at 3350 NE Catawba Rd, Port Clinton, OH 43452.